August 06, 2011

Developments...

Sandy bliss...

Building dreams...

Long walks along a familiar beach...

A favourite destination, The Golden Temple from a family trip in 2005...


RETHINK.....In a fit of questioning "Where I am at...?". a constant line within my internal mind. I have rethought the whole "Where do I go from here..."  As it stands when things aren't going to plan I have always in the past, walked away too soon, hence in a work situation left out of pocket and grappling with "shit what do I do now...?" scenarios... or just build resentment (childish I know!) and stew on it and in days of old brow beat my friends ears and anyone who would listen to me over many pots at the pub. Not anymore, plus you know I don't have the time nor would my kids really appreciate that side of me either, not really inspiring is it?

So I have decided to hold tight and in the meantime remain occupied. Not in the 'I have three kids and running around like a headless chook' way, I do that regardless. I mean more that I have only ONE day a week commitment to work and it's stimulating enough to be creative, design a little and actually focus on what is required to keep this business running.

I also have 'other' goals too... One in particular is to focus on some actual holidaying. We missed out on our annual holiday this year and 8 months down the track I am really feeling it! Like really feeling it!! I am desperate to get out of Melbourne, not because I dislike the place hey I consider it my hometown after 15 years. Yet sometimes you need to remove yourself from your safety house and routine and throw some fun in the mix. We may have had a road trip 3 months ago to Canberra but that to me is like visiting your family in the next suburb. As much again as I love seeing family and friends there, it ain't no holiday it's like an extended weekend that goes for a week or two then your hankering for something a little, dare I say 'cosmopolitan'?

So the holidaying is to get away to the family shack in Pambula, next school holidays, two weeks there will invigorate the soul. The opportunity to walk on the beach. maybe optimistically swim in the ocean ( I'm planning on investing in a wetsuit or 5 for the family!!) This life is simple, no need to fret over the daily routines of school run and work commitments.

However in the lead up to this family holiday is a getaway with some girlfriends to Mt Martha for three nights. I didn't think I could do it at first then I really thought about three nights to just feel free. That is of the daily  family demands, to learn to really miss them all and even catch-up on sleep /rest you know it. It's quite exciting the idea of sleeping in, no commitments and endless demands, we all have this pact that it's pyjamas all the way unless of course we are lunching at the Red Hill Winery or popping over to Sorrento for dinner, the choices aren't too shabby at all....

& then there is one last opportunity to travel abroad that seems too good to be true, however the costs associated for this trip has me wondering if I should commit. It would mean travelling to Japan with my eight year old son, so he could with fellow school mates practice their Japanese whilst immersed in the culture. However at eight we feel he is a little too young and he would be the youngest by miles from the other school children going, to travel on his own. So we didn't hesitate in thinking that one of his parents would be with him at all times, I luckily drew the long straw! It's the logistics of having the other two children stay in their routine, a partner whose work load is pretty heavy around the time of the year they are planning to go and hoping that maybe an interstate grandparent can come and help. Yet, then again it comes down to the cost, I haven't given up hope just need to be realistic too...still it's a lovely goal.

2 comments:

nicole said...

Re Japan: Just do it..make it work. Great thing to do with kid and for you! husband will deal. Just like he would have to deal if you got put in the loony bin with a nervous breakdown :)

Lilli boo said...

Nic, your right, can't stop thinking about it!! & it's such an awesome opportunity!!! right..off we go...