May 15, 2009

When in doubt call him "John"...


Tall chai tea latte, originally uploaded by baristahands.


I have days, weeks at the moment which are starting to feel like "Ground hog" day, which isn't to say it is monotonous it's just that feeling, Like "I've been here before...?"

Starting off with repeating myself to school aged child...."Get dressed...", "Eat your breakfast..." "Get dressed...", "Eat your break fast...", "Will you please get dressed and eat your breakfast..."...something like that!

Suddenly I'm in the school car park, doors slamming, "Have you got your hat?, jacket?,....Polar fleece is NOT itchy!!!...Have a good day..."...

With small child off to childcare, we say "Good morning to Sarah and the frogs and other mothers with small children...", We then use the turtles as a distraction and small child happily waves goodbye and I'm off... Check my PO BOX, same bills from same companies each week it feels... wishing for snail mail from anyone!... Drive to work, stop off at favourite cafe "Good morning Heather and Nina...", order my new thing...ALL COFFEE DRINKERS BLOCK YOUR EARS!... "Yes, same as usual Large Skinny Chai Latte* and the Yogurt, muesli and berries please!"

Arrive at work, turn on lights, stare at computer screen, check messages on voice mail, check email messages for business, delete really bad, bad spam.

Check diary for appointments, groan (inwardly) if there is too many and then set up for said appointments and the rest they say is history..but you get my drift...I only do this particular routine twice a week and work a third day where I can leisurely catch a tram to work and be there in 15 minutes door to door....gotta love that...

However back to said routine, again I stipulate only for two days, not in a row on alternate days and you know what...there's no flow...by having a day off in between you literally loose your thread (not quite your marbles)...you have to dig deep to sometimes remember the finer details of meetings with client's, the particular job you may be designing, the nuances that differentiate their Interior scheme from the next client (even after taking copious notes!)...and the other important factors like their husbands names...when in doubt call them "John". No I kid you not...so I have made a decision, not that ground breaking, to work three consecutive days....means four days off, three days on, Instead of Day off, Work, Day off, Work, Day off, Work, 2 Days off...No Good...Wow a revelation!...now lets see how childcare feels about this? I'll get back to you....

* Disclaimer: I do like GOOD coffee and start my day with a stove top espresso, however that is all I can usually drink as coffee on a bad day can affect my anxiety, if I am operating at an adrenalin pace for too long.....Anyway that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

1 comment:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I totally agree. I work 4 days and used to do 2 days, a day off, 2 days. I just recently changed to 4 days work, 3 days off. It's so much better. Much more flow happening.