May 20, 2008

Bookclub


My god book club was at my house last night and seriously it's never been cleaner, the house that is! The inspiration to make sure it was respectable was one thing and the other thing was then I didn't have to worry about cleaning the house for the rest of the week...well Ok I'll wipe benches and stuff...

So the book I selected was Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper"

I have never read any of this author's work before and thought since she is a widely published I was keen to share my experience...

It created a lively discussion because the context of the book is highly sensitive. "Why you ask?"... all interested... "Well" I reply, because it tackles the issue of falling pregnant to assist a sick sibling, initially just for their cord blood then gradually this new child becomes a constant doner for blood platelets and more....the story kicks off from the Narrative view point of Anna who is 13 years old and the subject of the book as one of the sisters. Anna is the doner sister who has basically kept her sister alive for the last 13 years and she is about to sue her parents because she feels she wants more say over her medical decisions as a new battle emerges one where her parents want her to donate one of her kidneys to keep her sister alive...

The story itself is very well written, but as one of the more cynical and very well placed members of my book club pointed out (she works with abused children as a social worker), that the narrative for Anna whilst interesting, thought provoking and insightful is not the voice of a 13 year old, it's too sophisticated and reads of that of more like a young woman in her 30's! (point taken)

The other point made was that whilst the story carries well and the viewpoints of all the major characters is very interesting it's the ending that lets the book down.. it's an obvious twist for some (That came from my partner who was thoroughly enjoying himself in on what is usually a girl's only book club!)

The other point being that there were some corny lines...

My take is I would recommend to read this book. After all that is said the book is quite compelling and does create a lively debate for your own moral grounding. There are some very interesting points of view from the many characters. I don't want to give too much away... click on the link on the title of the book which will direct you to another synopsis, questions posed for a book club and an exert from Jodi Picoult's website.

No comments: