March 15, 2011

It took a moment...

Piles of books & mags from 2008...however still relevant!

It took a moment yet I have finally selected my colours and now awaiting quotes. I was going to tweak the design of my business card then realised I was fussing, you know 'over thinking' the options. I realised I needed to start with the card that had been designed for me, select the colours that my 'gut' feeling had been drawn to and go from there. My graphic design friend sent me an option for my card and it was so vibrant I was a little uncertain, even though I had selected the colours. I took a couple of days to reflect on the look of my card and decided what I really liked about  it. Basically I concluded it wasn't like any other business card I had seen which gave it a point of difference and will certainly be noticed. So realising that I had an actual theme going here that related to other colour decisions I was making, I am starting to tie up all the loose ends required to get going.

I will post a copy of my card soon....

Otherwise, I have kept the mantra of 'small steps everyday' towards my goal and yes sometimes I feel I  am taking two forward and one step backyard and then feeling overwhelmed and wondering if I am taking the right steps. However Imust believe in myself as I have been doing freelance work for years, however what is different this time is I am having to rebuild my contacts and connections, basically start from scratch after being on maternity leave for a year and choosing not to work at all in this time..


A book pile that has since been well and truly tackled...

One of many blogs & books I have been reading for inspiration is the blog by Lauren & Emira who are also the authors of the fantastic book "The Boss of you" which is a must read for anyone wanting to start their own business. It is a very practical no-nonsense book and even though they are based in Canada the principles of their ideas seem to work and they are clearly very thorough in their approach to setting up a business. It's a perfect guidleline and starting point. So on that note, small steps and moving along...

1 comment:

Ellieboo said...

Looking forward to seeing the business card. But I know what you me - it is so easy to overthink things sometimes